Monday, October 27, 2008

Secrets and lies.

So, if one has a secret, not a bad secret, but a secret none the less and once chooses not to share it with say, most everyone he knows, does that make one a liar? When one goes to work, or the store, or church or a friends birthday party and puts a smile on their face and holds back the tears and anger and fear, are they lying to those around them? Is it a show of inner strength and love for others when one carries a burden and keeps it unseen and unshared? Which is the better choice, to lean upon our friends and seek their counsel, or to just smile and smile and smile and smile and smile and smile and ...............

3 comments:

Mandy Snyder said...

Just my take on your very thought provoking post. I believe that if you are not true to yourself then you are lying. That does not mean all the people in the world should be privy to your innermost secrets. I think that there are parts of our lives that can be compartmentalized from the rest. Who I am as a spiritual being has no reflection or bearing on who I am as a nurse. I think I adopted this philosophy growing up because it seemed to me that there is too much expectation that all parts of you should always overlap even though they are completely unrelated. The automatic social-suicide of being non-LDS in a prominently LDS school. Not everyone will share this opinion I am sure but I think that you aren't obligated to tell every friend, every co-worker, everything about yourself.

Higley's said...

We need to talk..............

David Ransom said...

I am an actor (since 6 months ago) and there is this technique that my school teaches, called the "Meisner technique". In teaching that technique, there exists a model of a scene called "unconditional love relationship". The whole basis of the Meisner techique is showing what is truthful onstage. Both actors are playing the hero. One actor (the one with the secret) might reluctantly but bravely tell the other their secret or dilemma. The other actor will react to whatever has been said, in the context of what the hero would do. A caveat- most of us don't consistently exhibit all the characteristics of the hero at all times (or with everyone). I don't think you need to reveal your secret to everyone, at least at first. The first step is to be able to talk to someone you trust and have an unconditional love relationship with. Just because the person has unconditional love does not mean that they will agree with you, however- they will tell you what they really think and what they really feel. But you trust them. This technique works in acting and literature- I suggest reading up on it.